Friday 25 March 2016

You Tube

I thought I would have a go at posting video on You Tube and then downloading ones I like to my blog. There are so many videos available to look at these days I thought it couldn't possibly be difficult to set up an account. I wasn't wrong, in all about 10 mins to set it up and add a video. Mind you, I did a have a little help from the local farmers son, Ben, age 15.


This first video was taken during CES8 at the Wildlife and Wetland Trust (WWT) Llanelli last year on the23rd July. The two Kingfishers were caught in net 4 right at the end of the session and were a complete surprise. This gave me the opportunity to try the video option out on my camera. Kingfishers can turn their heads nearly 360 degrees and the video clearly shows this. I understand that humans and some animals move their eyes to follow or scan an object using peripheral vision when necessary. Kingfishers eyes are more fixed in their eye sockets and do not have the same wide vision of movement so the turning of their heads helps to compensate for this.



Video 2 of the Great Northern Diver was taken on our way to a small Island called Eilean nan Ron off the coast of the Northwest Highlands of Scotland. I go there every summer with friends for the purpose of catching Storm Petrels Great Skua pulli, Shag and Twite.


We had a rest break from the journey along the water side of one of the large Scottish Loughs and this Great Northern Diver swam past us. Such beautiful birds and the largest of the UK Loons. It is usually seen in the Winter months but some can be seen in the summer in the north of the UK. It has an Amber Status.


If anyone has any constructive criticism about my videos I would love to hear it, because if possible I would like to improve them in future attempts. Especially I would like to know how videos can reach a wider audience. Thanks for looking.



No comments:

Post a Comment