Tuesday 20 January 2015

A few nice birds over the last 4 days.

The contents below are a summary of the ringing I have done since the evening of Thursday 15th January to yesterday evening 19th January. The reason being the Internet Service Provider had major mast damage caused by the recent high winds resulting in me being without the internet during these dates and not being able to post. During this downtime period I realised how dependant I was, getting more frustrated by the day.

I had to travel to Stoke-on-Trent and back on the 15th and did not get home until 10.30pm. I checked the forecast and it was rain by midnight and there was a bit of a Hooley blowing outside as well. So, instead of unwinding in the chair after 10hours driving I thought I would grab an hour at Fygyn Common instead. Two birds were seen, but caught just the one below.


This was an adult bird with a wing length of 203mm and weight 316.5gms.



As on previous occasions the bird sat calmly on the grass whilst I took some pictures. The rain had started slightly earlier and can be seen in the pictures. It is amazing how waterproof birds plumage can be. The water globules are so tight and round as you would expect to see on any impervious surface.

The second session was in my garden at Ffynnon Gro. There was a good show of Goldfinch and numbers seem to be increasing daily. Another 3 Lesser Redpoll one of which was a new bird, and the Treecreeper was a first this year. Last year I only processed one, in November.


Species
New
Re-trap
Control
Totals
Lesser Redpoll
1
2

3
Goldfinch
11
7

18
Blue Tit
7
1

8
Treecreeper
1


1
Totals
20
10

30




No comments:

Post a Comment